Monday, March 11, 2013

Whistle for Willie


Keats, E. J. (1964). Whistle for Willie. New York: The Viking Press.
Do you know how to whistle? Do you think Peter the main character in the story will learn how to whistle? These questions would be ones I would ask to introduce this story by Ezra Jack Keats. I choose this story because I remember reading another story by the same author when I was in elementary school. I also choose this book, because it has an African American main character. I have a very diverse classroom that is mostly African American and I think it is important for them to identify with the characters in stories; as well as seeing books with African American characters. A Whistle for Willie is a story about a little boy named Peter who desperately wants to learn to whistle for his dog Willie. He obtains this desire even more after seeing another little boy whistling for his dog, and the boy's dog runs straight to him.  Peter tries, and tries but he just can't whistle, so he distracts his self by doing other things. Peter then gets an idea to dress up like his dad, because adults can whistle. Peter continues to try and practice, and he never gives up. The bright colors in the story helps the pages come alive. I believe that after reading this story to my class, we could talk about some things they would like to learn to do, and we could set goals. I would also create a class book with one page for each students, that they create about what they want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment