Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Field Experience Questions


1.      How many hours did you complete? I completed  Five  hours of observation

 

 

2.      In a short paragraph or bulleted list, how did you spend your time?

 

I spent majority of my time at Fairdale High School observing Mrs. Kenzer a tenth grade English teacher and her colleagues. The students had done research, watched videos, and read articles prior to my observation regarding the dependency on technology and weather it was harmful or helpful. During my observation the students participated in a live scoring session. Mrs. Kenzer explained to each of her classes the expectations and the process of live scoring. They were to pick a side, have a catchy lead, have three points to defend their opinion, and include a paragraph for each point. Afterwards, they met with two other English teachers and their classes in the fine arts room. The classes were comprehensive, honors, and ESL. As the students worked the teachers provided them with support, and gave suggestions. When the students completed a section of their paper, they had to go to a teacher to get their paper scored. If they did it correct they received a star and could move on, if they did not do it correctly they received immediate feedback on how to improve their paper. The process was very successful and many of the students produced excellent work. Although I observed, some of the students asked me for help, and I provided suggestions if they asked. Another hour I interviewed my school librarian and we had a rich discussion about literature; and the other hour I observed a fourth grade teacher during her reading block.


3. How did the experience help you to strengthen at least one Kentucky Teacher Standard? (be sure to name the standard)

I think from observing Mrs. Kenzer and her colleagues they helped me improve the Kentucky Teaching Standard number 5: Assesses and communicates learning results and Standard 8: The teacher collaborates with colleagues, parents and others.  During the live scoring process the students received immediate feedback that was specific and helped them improve their work, and produce something to be proud about. From observing the responses the teachers provided to the students I think this helped me obtain ideas on how to assess and communicate the learning results to my students. I learned more ways to tell things in a positive way so the students can receive it. I have also tried to come up with a simple way to incorporate this process with my Kindergarteners, of course on a much simpler scale; but I think it would be good to give them the opportunity to get it right while they are still producing their work. All of the teachers gave some great comments, and even if the student’s work did not meet the expectations the students did not get upset when they received their results.  Also from this experience I can tell that the teachers collaborated well together. The process went smoothly, which meant they spent a lot of time together collaborating. During the process they also talked to one another, gave suggestions to each other, and worked together to help all the students succeed. I think my colleagues do a good job of collaborating because we are a PLC school, but I think we can always improve. From watching the teachers in high school, we have talked about some ways we can team teach; or get together to benefit all of our students.


4.      Talk a little about one thing you learned because of this field experience.

I think one thing that I learned from observing in a high school is that the needs of the students in a high school are not much different than the needs of my kindergarten students. Although there is a great gap in their ages, Mrs. Kenzer’s student reminded me of some of my students. The students needed support, they wanted to please their teacher, they liked hearing positive feedback, and they were excited to earn a star sticker. These are all things my students need and enjoy. There are always negative stories about what happens in high schools, so it was good to see students who wanted to succeed and were willing to work hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment